Vitamin D sales overtakes Vitamin C!!
The Independent just reported that vitamin D cells have overtaken vitamin C sales in the UK. And at Bespoke Biotics we say about time too!
Whilst there is no denying that vitamin C is a very important supplement, we regard vitamin D as a master supplement. If you take no other supplement, D is the one to start with as the benefits are huge especially if you live in the northern hemisphere like Europe, use sun protection, adopt a vegan type lifestyle or are not fair skinned.
So what the big deal about Vitamin D?
Throughout human evolution our bodies have adapted to producing vitamin D in sunlight. It's more than just a 'vitamin' you can think of it like a hormone, it impacts all of the bodies large and small systems e.g.
- The immune system and infections
- Asthma and allergies
- Heart disease and high blood pressure
- Diabetes (yes diabetes!)
- Some types of cancer, such as colon, prostate and breast cancers
- Multiple sclerosis.
Why are our levels of Vitamin d crashing ?
- We are exposed to less sunlight as we stay in doors in the winter and then get air-conditioning in the summer.
- We use super powerful suncream is to block sunlight, from infancy.
- Modern food production and storage methods mean that vitamin d is naturally less available in our foodstuffs.
- Our gut biome is being affected by modern living preventing optimal vitamin d exposure.
- Mass migration means peoples skins are not always adapted to where they live, for example a black or Indian origin persons may need 10 times the amount of sunlight as a fair skinned in person in Western Europe.
- In countries like the UK doctors often prescribe a dose of around 400-800 iu.
- Most shop sold Vitamin d as also very low dosages.
- We believe in practice this is woefully inadequate and based on old data.
- By way of example 1 hour of sunlight exposure is 10,000 iu for a light skinned person.
- Thus recommend a does of 2000-5000iu per day, and in practical experience.
- We find the results with 5000 iu and effectives and impactful for most adults.
See Bespoke Biotics High Strength Vitamin D3 here