Everything You Need to Know About Triptans For Migraines
If you experience migraine headaches, you know how painful it can get and how it affects your daily activities if they’re not treated. In some cases, people take over-the-counter pain relievers to help ease the pain. But, if that doesn’t work, your healthcare specialist may recommend a triptan drug. Triptans are available as injections, nasal sprays, or tablets.
Triptans can help with migraine symptoms like nausea, vomiting, headache pain, and sensitivity to light and sound. Most people feel better within two hours of taking triptans.
In a 2015 research review, they compared triptans and other migraine treatment options. Researchers found that standard doses of triptans were effective at relieving migraine attacks in 42 to 76 percent of participants within 2 hours.
What are Triptans?
Triptans are a class or group of medicines used to treat headache or migraine. While triptans cannot prevent a migraine attack, it can help ease symptoms by shrinking swollen blood vessels in the brain once the headache or migraine occurs. Triptans are also known as 5HT1-receptor agonists. This refers to the substance in the brain called serotonin—a neurotransmitter that nerve cells produce.
The medicines in the triptan class are as follows:
If one triptan drug does not work for you or causes you side effects, your healthcare specialist will suggest another one.
It is crucial to take note that some triptans are not licensed or recommended for children due to limited data available for children’s use.
How do Triptans Work?
Triptans are thought to work like serotonin—a brain chemical. This helps calm down overactive pain nerves. In short, triptans reverse the changes in the brain caused by migraine.There are seven different triptan medicines, your healthcare provider will choose which one will work best based on your symptoms and how long your headaches last.
For instance, if you have long migraine headaches, Frovatriptan and naratriptan would be helpful for you since it stays in your body for a longer period of time. If the triptan medication doesn’t work for you, your healthcare provider may prescribe a different medication.
All triptans work best when they are taken soon after the migraine symptoms start and when the pain is mild.
How are Triptans Administered?
The best time to take triptans is when the symptoms are still mild or moderate, this is when the headache or migraine usually develops. Reports show that triptans may not work during a migraine with aura.
There are several ways on how triptans are administered. It can be taken by mouth, melted on the tongue, injected under the skin, or as nasal spray.
Who Should Not Take Triptans?
Patients with the following conditions should consult their healthcare specialist before taking triptans (please note this is only general advice and your doctor may advise otherwise):
- Children under the age of 12
- Existing liver problems
- Hypersensitivity to triptans or its ingredients
- Existing heart disease
- Uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Depression being treated with medications such as fluvoxamine or fluoxetine
- Hemiplegic migraine headaches
- Migraine headaches with brain stem auras
Side Effects of Triptan
The following are the most common side effects reported:
- Chest pain
- Skin irritation
- Jaw, neck, or chest pressure
These side effects are often mild and go away on their own.
In rare cases, triptans have been linked to strokes or heart attacks. If you’re a woman over the age of 55 or a man over the age of 40, your healthcare specialist will give you a physical and health exam before prescribing triptans.
The nasal spray may cause irritation of the mouth and nose and may have a strange taste in the mouth. If triptans are used often, patients may experience an “overuse” headache. If your child is taking triptans more than 2-3 times per week, consult your healthcare specialist.
Could Triptans Cause Other Problems?
As mentioned above, taking triptans too often can lead to medication-overuse headaches. Instead of treating headaches, the triptan drug could start to cause tem. Medication-overuse headaches are constant and worse in the morning. To prevent this from happening, do not use triptans more than 2-3 times per week or 10 days each month.
If you experience more migraine headaches while taking the triptan drug, talk to your healthcare provider. You may need another medication that can prevent migraine headaches instead of treating them after they’ve started.
Are there natural supplements that you can try that are less harmful than triptans? Yes, you can try 3 Key supplements that are helpful for migraine reduction
Riboflavin (High Dose) CoQ10 and Magnesium
Bespoke Biotics sell all three in Migrasoothe triple pack.
In addition. Migrasoothe Pro. This supplement contains extra B vitamins as well as the natural acid acid Tryptophan. Like Triptans, tryptophan has the ability to make extra serotonin and therefore it is thought to ease the symptoms of migraine with are know to be low in Migraine patients.
Why Migrasoothe by Bespoke Biotics?
- Migrasoothe-B, Migrasoothe + Herbs and Migrasooth-Pro has been exclusively developed by Bespoke Biotics
- Unique Formulation - Proportionally compact (Smaller capsules than chinese-made alternatives)
- Fermentically synthesised free form for optimal purity (or Bacterially)
- New and improved Biotechnology and metabolic engineering techniques to increase vitamin B2 yield.
- Optimised bioavailability for a convenient 1 a dose and fast absorption
- Easy to swallow small Capsules
- Made in Great Britain in a GMP standard production facility (same grade as pharmaceutical drugs)
Information provided by this article and our company is not a substitute for direct, individual medical treatment or advice. It is the responsibility of you and your healthcare providers to make all decisions regarding your health.
Bespoke Biotics is One of Britain’s Leading Migraine Supplement Specialists
BESPOKE BIOTICS FOUNDED BY TWO RESEARCH SCIENTISTS WITH A PASSION TO HELP INDIVIDUALS IMPROVE THEIR HEALTH. WE FOCUS ON PSYCHOBIOTICS (GUT-BRAIN), NOOTROPICS (BRAIN & MOOD) & VITAMINS FOR THE BODY.
Why choose MigraSoothe by Bespoke Biotics?
MigraSoothe-B, MigraSoothe + Herbs, and MigraSoothe-Pro have been exclusively developed by Bespoke Biotics using their unique formulation.
- Compared to Chinese-made alternatives, our supplements have proportionally compact capsules that are easy to swallow.
- Our vitamin B2 is fermentically synthesized for optimal purity, and we use new and improved biotechnology and metabolic engineering techniques to increase the yield of vitamin B2.
- Our supplements are optimized for bioavailability, making them fast-absorbing and convenient to take with just one capsule per dose.
- Best of all, our supplements are made in Great Britain in a GMP standard production facility, ensuring the same grade of quality as pharmaceutical drugs.